Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

My Christian faith is at a low ebb. Has been for years. I'm not even sure I'd identify myself as a Christian anymore, and I don't know why I turned away from it, but I'm most reminded of this when Christmas comes around and occasionally I think, "Am I being a hypocrite?"

Maybe, though putting up nice decorations and exchanging presents with friends and family probably doesn't hurt anybody, regardless of what the reason is.

I guess I don't really know what to think of Christmas anymore. It's certainly a much more complicated holiday in adulthood than in childhood. It's been a long time since I was able to see everyone I want to at Christmas, and I don't imagine it will ever happen again.

Didn't mean to pee in anyone's eggnog, and I really am fantastically lucky -- lots of healthy loved ones, reliably constant food and shelter, regular intellectual stimulation -- so don't pay any attention to me. Really, Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this man. I find myself thinking similar things. Appreciate your thoughts.

    On another note (forgive the bad hiphop reference) I hope the Mets get Lowe, get Lowe, get Lowe get Lowe get Lowe.

    ReplyDelete