Monday, January 7, 2008

Well, that was a first

It's 11:15 p.m., I'm driving home from work. I'm on Broadway in Louisville, three blocks from our apartment building. As I cross Sixth Street, a cop car with a siren on goes sailing past in the opposite direction, but I don't really notice. I coast to the red light at Fifth in the left lane, with another car to my right and a car to his right.

Then in a half-second, I see three cop cars pull up behind us and two more cut us off from the front. All with sirens blazing, all squealing to a halt at the same moment. The officers in the two front cruisers, in one motion, jump out of the driver-side doors and point don't-even-think-about-it guns at the car next to me.

"Put your hands where I can see 'em!"

The guy does -- thanks, hoss, very much appreciated by those of us trying to avoid peeing our pants -- then he gets out of the car five seconds later and another officer handcuffs him. I sit there for another minute or two, sporting Sailor Moon saucer eyes, until the one cop moves his car out of my way and waves me the hell out of there.

So I can check that off my to-do list: be pinned in by police cars and shiny guns. Word.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like just a regular night on Henderson Court in Abingdon.

    Hope all the mess you have to get done this week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had a similar thing happen to me in Gaithersburg one time, but luckily I wasn't fully pinned in. About 8 cops cars materialized out of no where just as I was making a right turn, and pulled over me and the car behind me. What seemed like 50 officers came running with guns drawn at that car. But they all were coming from behind and the sides, and as soon as I realized that I sped the hell away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I took your aunts and grandmother to the city for our theatre trip, we were right in the middle of a police chase - YOAT almost had a cow!

    ReplyDelete